Thursday, August 6, 2009

Gismos, Gadgets, and God

This is my first blog posted on another site and just moved it here. enjoy -


August 05
Gismos, Gadgets, and God

As I sit to write this, I am reading a book, checking my e-mail, staying up on world events, the Tigers, and Wolverines online, updating my FB (facebook), texting back and forth with my wife, and just set up a Twitter account so I can Tweet my peeps!
What an amazing age we live in that we can have instant access to news from around the world, updates by the second from people anywhere, instant messages, cell phone communication wherever we are, iphones, blackberries, notebooks, netbooks, kindles, smart phones. The list goes on.
The world has never been smaller than it is today because of technology.
Maybe you are one that loves to multi task, too. Or maybe you are one that thinks everybody on FB or MySpace or Twitter wants to know every little detail of your day. Whoever you are, gismos and gadgets probably connect you somehow.
Anybody else out there been thrilled to reconnect with an old friend that you have not talked to since high school? Isn’t it exciting to see pictures of them and their families and to find out what they are doing with their lives?
I remember when I used to have to wait until the 11 o’clock news or the newspaper to get my sports scores. Now every game is available play by play online. Or I can get instant updates on my cell phone.
How many hours a day do you spend online, just waiting for the next post to pop up on your computer, only to be disappointed to read that someone just ate a chocolate chip cookie? So much is being written, yet not much is being said.
I wonder if we have the same enthusiasm when it comes to hearing what God wants to say to us. Do we get excited to hear from God’s word? Do we anxiously await what will happen in our prayer time with God? Do we care about what God thinks of the day’s issues?
I have really enjoyed reconnecting with old friends recently. I think it is wonderful to be connected with people in a community (online or otherwise).
The question I have for you is this, “Are you connecting with God?”
A nice thing about connecting with God is how easy it is. All you have to do is talk to Him. He is instantly there waiting for you. Try picking up a Bible and read something that He wrote. I guarantee it is more exciting than hearing about somebody drinking a White Mocha Latte from Starbucks!
The point is, make connecting with God a priority in your life. It’s so easy.

p.s.
You do not have to wait for God to accept your friend request! He has been waiting for years for you to accept His.

1 comment: