Thursday, October 1, 2009

Unfulfilled Expectations

How many of you have a relationship you are disappointed with?
A spouse, friend, mate, child, boss, employee...
Have you ever stopped to think about why you are disappointed with that relationship?

I think a lot of it has to do with unfulfilled expectations.

Think about it, we all have expectations of people in our lives. Unfortunately, thos expectations are often unfair (unrealistic) and we don't often make those expectations known.

Your spouse is probably the most amazing spouse in the world, but if you have unfair expectations that he or she can never live up to, then you will always gauge their success based on those expectations and they will never be good enough.

Same with your kids, they are probably awesome kids. But if you have unfair or unknown expectations you measure them against, they will often fall short.

Same for your boss, your employees, your pastor, your congregation.

Instead of putting our expectations on people, maybe we should pray that they would become all that God wants them to be and ask God how we can help people along the journey of reaching that goal.

If I expect 1,000 people to read this and 10 people do, I would be disappointed.
But if I trust that God will use this to encourage someone in their walk to become more like Him, then I will be successful.

1 comment:

  1. life is a journey that we all take what you get out of it is what you want for if it is our children, spouse or family that make that journey worth living for. sometimes I think that what am I doing with my life then I thank god for showing me that my life is not just about me and the things that I want but about being able to give to others the things not what they want but the things that they need. this is what keep me going for another day a world where each of us has a chance to pass something good on to others and the hope and prayers for those who can and cannot believe in themselves and god. But if we look at it each day with a new beggining that god has told us to spread his message then with that a hope shall arise in each of us and that will pass forth to others and his will for us shall be carried on.

    ReplyDelete